[BillingsLUG] LinuxFest Northwest 2011 - Anyone?

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Wed Apr 20 13:47:04 MDT 2011

Mike,

----- Original Message -----
> winxp home laptop so I can:
> 1) access the computer remotely for management

RDP management is already there... so assuming you know the IP address of the machine and there isn't a firewall blocking you, you should be able to turn on remote management and use RDP.  There are a number of RDP clients you can use for Linux.  My preferred one is krdc but the simple rdp works too.

> 2) a video chat program that is simple and stable
> This laptop is being sent to my 2yr old so we can keep in touch, his
> mother moved and she WILL mess up a computer, hence the need for remote
> management.

I haven't used it myself but from what I hear most video chat folks are either using iChat on a Mac or Skype on Windows, Linux and Mac.  Give Skype a try.  That assumes you have a working webcam.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street