[BillingsLUG] Questions re: this email; FW: Five tools to protect your privacy online

mb madeinmontana at bresnan.net
Sat Mar 2 00:09:50 MST 2013

Hello everyone, I haven't been to meetings in a long time, but I was
wondering if I could get some input from anyone who has heard or knows of
the following email I was forwarded. i.e. is it reputable? Good, bad, or
ugly?

Thank you in advance, and looking forward to when I can get back to the
meetings.

Sincerely,

Mike Berry

If you are having trouble viewing this email, or you'd like to share this
article with your friends,
<https://iman.infusionsoft.com/app/linkClick/20441/fb76ea10f99e2d37/95705427
/97fa773611fef813> click here

Image removed by sender. Sovereign Man

Feburary 15, 2013
6th Region, Central Chile

We've discussed many times before--hardly a month goes by without some major
action against Internet users... from Obama's 'kill switch', to ACTA, SOPA
and PIPA, to stasi tactics against people like Kim Dotcom.

Online privacy is becoming more important by the day. And nobody is going to
give it to you, you have to take steps yourself to secure it.

Below are five different tools and services that will get you started:

1. Tor Browser

Tor is a great weapon in the fight for online anonymity as it allows you to
surf the web without giving up your location and other personal data to the
websites you visit.

The Tor Browser Bundle is the easiest and most secure way to get started;
simply download it, and start surfing the web with the Tor Browser. It's
available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

<https://iman.infusionsoft.com/app/linkClick/25009/2b08c3211f95ab5c/95705427
/97fa773611fef813> Learn more about and download the Tor Browser Bundle here

2. Duck Duck Go

If you want privacy, don't search with Google.

Google store all of your searches to customize ads for you, but even worse,
they can hand over the whole list of searches to any government agency that
are curious about what you've been looking at for the last couple years.

A better alternative is Duck Duck Go, a completely anonymous search engine
that does not store any information about you or your searches. The search
results are essentially identical to Google's, so there's no loss of
quality.

<https://iman.infusionsoft.com/app/linkClick/25011/c3a0269447acc040/95705427
/97fa773611fef813> Search with Duck Duck Go here

3. HTTPS Everywhere

HTTPS Everywhere is a plug-in for Firefox and Google Chrome that tries to
force a website to connect in secure mode, thus encrypting your traffic with
the website you are visiting. This makes your browsing more secure because
it prevents eavesdropping thieves or state-mafia from intercepting your
unencrypted Internet traffic.

<https://iman.infusionsoft.com/app/linkClick/25013/752e760394d14dc6/95705427
/97fa773611fef813> Download HTTPS Everywhere here

4. Cryptocat

Cryptocat is an encrypted chat that beats Facebook and Skype when it comes
to security and privacy. If you want to chat in private then this is one
simple solution. It's also open source, which means you can see the full
code and be sure there are no government "backdoors" built in.

<https://iman.infusionsoft.com/app/linkClick/25015/ef7b0218986e055a/95705427
/97fa773611fef813> Read more about and download Cryptocat here

5. Silent Circle

Silent Circle is a new player on the market, but it is founded by "old"
players in the security and encryption industry. One of the founders, Phil
Zimmerman, is also the creator of PGP, one of the most-used encryption
platforms in the world.

Silent Circle is a suite of products offering:
- Encrypted email
- Encrypted video chat
- Encrypted phone calls
- Encrypted text messaging

Silent Circle is the only service on this list that is not free. But having
the gold standard of encryption may be worth it for you. It is for me.

<https://iman.infusionsoft.com/app/linkClick/25017/9bb4f57439d752b1/95705427
/97fa773611fef813> Read more about Silent Circle here

Bottom Line

You can set up most of the tools we discussed in 5 minutes. Each of them
will go a long way in securing your privacy online.

Do you have a recommended tool or service that should be on the list? If so,
please leave a comment
<https://iman.infusionsoft.com/app/linkClick/25019/e8058568b477dd57/95705427
/97fa773611fef813>  and share it on our website.

Until tomorrow,
Image removed by sender. Signature
Simon Black
Senior Editor,
<https://iman.infusionsoft.com/app/linkClick/20445/fd876c28ef5f2a48/95705427
/97fa773611fef813> SovereignMan.com

Neither this email communication nor content posted to the website
SovereignMan.com is intended to provide personal financial advice. Before
undertaking any action described in this letter, financial or otherwise, you
should discuss your options with a qualified advisor-- accountant, financial
planner, attorney, priest, IRS auditor, Tim Geithner... Also, nothing
published in this letter constitutes encouragement to avoid or evade tax
obligations in your home country. Furthermore, you should understand that
SovereignMan.com may in some instances receive financial compensation for
products and/or services which are mentioned in the letter, and in other
cases, SovereignMan.com receives no compensation. The needs of the community
come first, and the presence or lack of financial compensation in no way
affects the recommendations made in this letter.

If you no longer wish to receive our emails, click the link below:

<https://iman.infusionsoft.com/app/linkClick/20443/5e3efe121c67439f/95705427
/97fa773611fef813> Unsubscribe

Blacksmith Pte. Ltd. publisher of Sovereign Man No.4 Kiarong Complex Gadong
2nd Floor Block D BSB, Brunei-Muara BE1318 Brunei Darussalam

Image removed by sender.