[BillingsLUG] Fwd: Montana Linux Fest - Getting the ball rolling

Shawn A. Wilson shawn at lannocc.com
Tue May 15 14:44:06 MDT 2012

Larry, Ilan, and others:

Thank you for opening the discussion on a possible Montana Linux Fest. I
have yet to be able to attend the LFNW with the other locals so putting
one together closer to home sounds like a wonderful idea!

I suppose the choice of venue and financing needs go hand-in-hand with
the planned/expected size of the event. As you mention, this could be a
one-day or a weekend deal. What sort of attendance numbers would be
appropriate? I believe that promotion would be one difficult aspect of
this endeavor... here in Billings our LUG is quite loosely-associated
and meetings are often small, while the Bozeman LUG has a stronger core
group. I think it's mainly an organizational problem in Billings as we
often don't have a meeting topic defined until the day before or even
day of planned meeting! Obviously strong organization would be key to
the success of an event like this.

I like the tracks idea. Anyways, I don't appear to have much in the way
of new ideas at the moment but I wanted to get a response out. I'm
looking forward to more discussion on this!

Thanks,
-shawn