[BillingsLUG] Seeking advice for a "media center" project

Larry Dillon dillon.larry at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 13:33:31 MDT 2011

Roku -- Very good at Netflix, 3d party dlna client?

WDTV Live-Plus -- good at Netflix, dlna client, browses CIFS file
shares and plays back most (but not all) Internet video downloads
(works better with 3d party firmware http://b-rad.cc)

Various Blu-ray players -- so-so at Netflix, dlna client

Some newer TV's have dlna clients built in (no set top box).

(Dlna clients play back many audio and video formats but there are
many video files (Internet downloads) that they won't play back.
Transcoding is an option but a huge time sink if you have a large
collection of videos.)

XBMC is good, if your friend has a spare, quiet PC to put it on.