[BillingsLUG] BillingsLUG Linux distro?

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Fri May 20 11:28:32 MDT 2011

Greetings,

Shawn(sp?) aka Lannoc was asking about starting a project to provide a BillingsLUG flavor of Linux.

Just wanted to offer my MontanaLinux Fedora remix as a base if desired.  I have a screencast that shows how to easily build the remix although it is a bit dated... recorded around the time of Fedora 10.  I use the livecd-creator script that is part of the stock livecd-tools package in Fedora.  Not a whole lot has changed so the screencast should still be useful:

http://www.montanalinux.org/fedora-remix-howto-screencast.html

Fedora 15 comes out in a little over a week and I have the MontanaLinux remix built and ready to go for both 32-bit and 64-bit if anyone wants to check it out.  It is a 1.6GB DVD iso image with GNOME 3 Shell, KDE 4.6.3, LXDE, XFCE and other desktops... lots of desktop software including LibreOffice, GIMP, Inkscape, Scribus, etc... and includes packages from the rpmfusion third-party repo... including mplayer, vlc, codecs, and the flash-plugin.  It is live media that includes an install to hard drive option... with some MontanaLinux rebranding.

The only other person I know doing a distro remix is bodhi_zazen from the HelenaLUG.  He does a remix of Debian that he calls Zenix.  I'm guessing that he'd be happy to share his remix recipe with you if desired.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street